On this page we aim to share current helpful information and documents which will support parents and carers to choose suitable schools to best meet your child’s needs and details of how to apply.
If your child was born between 1 September 2012 and 31 August 2013, or is in year 6 for the 2023-2024 school year, you must apply for a secondary school place for September 2024.
The deadline for on-time applications is Tuesday 31st October 2023.
Secondary National Offer Day is Friday 1st March 2024.
Lambeth has a webpage for admissions to their secondary school.
Lambeth also has a brief guide to starting secondary school in Lambeth 2024 – 2025.
Lambeth has also produced this letter with useful information and guidance about this process.
Sessions for Larkhall parents and carers explaining processes
On Friday 8th September, Paula wrote to parents and carers of children in Year 6 to invite them to initial meetings.
Initial meeting letter
These meetings aim to:
- Support you to select a school which best meets the needs of your child
- provide a comprehensive map of local secondary schools
- recommend useful questions to ask when you visit schools
- explain the application procedure.
Please note that there is no ‘best’ school locally, however there will be one or more schools that are a better fit for your child, your values and your unique situation. In London there are lots and lots of schools to choose from, which can feel overwhelming at times. The advantage of living in London is that when you know your child well and know what kind of learning environment would most meet their needs, then the wider choice can provide more specific options. We encourage you to start by considering Larkhall’s Hints for Visiting Secondary School.
If you would like a conversation with Gary or Paula, or another member of staff, about your specific child and circumstances, please email the school at: email@example.com.
Transition to Secondary School – Don’t Forget!
Transitioning from Primary to Secondary school is a time of excitement and anxiety for both children and parents. So here are some helpful tips to support the change from Year 6 to Year 7!
- Remind them never be afraid to ask for help, or talk to someone they trust, like you or their tutor if they’re concerned about anything.
- Prompt them to find out what their timetable is, what time they need to be at school, and what time they can go home.
- Support your child to be organised. Get them to pack their bag, pencil case, etc the night before so they don’t have to worry in the morning.
- First impressions last a long time, so make sure theirs are good ones – for organisation, presentation, and behaviour!
- Suggest they make the first effort to make new friends.
- Encourage them to make the most of all the new opportunities. They will have the chance to try out new clubs and activities.
- Make sure they know what uniform they need, and what to bring in for sport.
- Encourage them to enjoy it! Making new friends and learning new things is exciting. Remind them that everyone else is in the same boat….